The CWAL Rubber Room
"I laughed, I cried, I wondered where Jolt was."
HQPost a New MessageReturn to The CWAL Rubber RoomFAQ

I just had to go and discover that "LitRPG" is "a thing" for Amazon Kindle, and evidently a number of titles are doing well enough to get professionally narrated?
Posted by TheDeamon from 174.237.3.*, on July 8, 12017 at 22:39:46:

And from what I've sampled through Kindle Unlimited, the premise is compelling as a writer/quasi-futurist, but none of the titles I've seen so far seem to be particularly inspired/inspiring in any significant way.

For those too lazy to investigate: The basic premise for most of the one's I've found is basically you're in a near/distant future setting where "full immersion VR" has come into existence, and is available for (mass) consumer use, and the story is set to take place with a RPG of some kind and details the experiences of certain designated characters. Advanced AI NPCs also tend to feature prominently as well.

MOST stories seem to keep the majority/all of their attention within the game, not much unlike a certain Anime program from over a decade ago. Some of them take comparable tracks to that Anime series going by their description, most don't however.

I'm just kind of half-way disappointed at the ones that toy with the prospect of a "long-duration immersion"(days/weeks/months) and the implications as well as applications for something like that which they completely missed.

Of course, people would probably have a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea of something that could potentially qualify as a "Utopian Dystopia." Where everyone can have all their vital needs taken care of, and experience everything else they could ever possibly want... They just won't be experiencing it with their actual body, but instead would be doing so through VR constructs(Basically they're "in the matrix" only they're in it "voluntarily" for the most part, and are probably fully aware of that fact).

Can the people within VR constructs interact with reality? How do they do so?

Who or what is taking care of the people in those "long-duration immersion" systems? So on and so forth.

Thread: